Integrated Accessibility Policies & Accessibility Plan
Viacore is committed to improving accessibility. We will put the following policies into practice as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
This document also outlines our accessibility plan which describe the steps we are taking to meet those requirements and to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
This integrated policy and multi-year plan is reviewed and updated at least once every 5 years.
Viacore is committed to ensuring equal access and participation for people with disabilities. We are committed to treating people with disabilities in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence.
We believe in integration, and we are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner. We will do so by removing and preventing barriers to accessibility and by meeting our accessibility requirements under Ontario’s accessibility laws.
Viacore is committed to meeting its current and ongoing obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting non-discrimination.
Viacore understands that obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and its accessibility standards do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code or obligations to people with disabilities under any other law.
Viacore is committed to excellence in serving and providing goods, services or facilities to all customers including people with disabilities. Our accessible customer service policies are consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities.
Information and Communications
Viacore is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. When asked, we will provide information and communications materials in accessible formats or with communication supports. This includes:
- publicly available information about our goods, services and facilities
- emergency and public safety information
- workplace information for employees
- print documents and information provided to the public on web sites and handheld devices
- feedback processes for the public
Viacore will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
If we don’t have accessible formats on hand, we will make every effort to provide the information in a timely manner.
If the organization determines that information or communications are unconvertible, the organization shall provide the requestor with:
- an explanation as to why the information or communications are unconvertible; and
- a summary of the unconvertible information or communications.
Viacore will take the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016: Make available all public information in formats taking into account the person’s accessibility due to disability.
Viacore will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0 Level by January 1, 2021
- Regularly monitor and test our website
- Identify usability issues and discover new solutions to further improve accessibility to our site
Viacore welcomes feedback on how we provide accessible customer service. Customer feedback will help us identify barriers and respond to concerns.
Viacore will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015:
- Make available different channels for employees to provide feedback, including telephone, email, written, or through their manager
- Make available different channels for our customers to provide feedback, including telephone and email
Feedback may also be provided in the following ways:
- by emailing the HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- by calling the HR department at 604.540.0044
- by mailing the HR department at
- 1609 Derwent Way, Delta, BC V3M 6K8
Viacore ensures our feedback process is accessible to people with disabilities by providing or arranging for accessible formats and communication supports, on request.
We are committed to training all employees in Ontario in accessible customer service, other Ontario’s accessibility standards and aspects of the Ontario Human Rights Code that relate to persons with disabilities. Training that is appropriate to work duties, will be provided as soon as practicable during on-boarding and on-going, and whenever there are policy changes.
Viacore will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015:
- Provide an online training module on Ontario’s accessibility laws and Human Rights Code to all existing employees and new hires
- Maintain a record of all employees who are trained and when
- purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the Customer Service Standards
- our policies related to the Customer Service Standards
- how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- how to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities
- what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing our organization’s goods, services or facilities
People with disabilities may use their personal assistive devices when accessing our goods, services or facilities.
In cases where the assistive device presents a significant and unavoidable health or safety concern or may not be permitted for other reasons, other measures will be used to ensure the person with a disability can access our goods, services or facilities.
We ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site or that we provide that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods, services or facilities.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and third parties such as customer parking areas and front-desk reception area.
If service animals are prohibited by another law, we will do the following to ensure people with disabilities can access our goods, services or facilities:
- explain why the animal is excluded
- discuss with the customer another way of providing goods, services or facilities
Service animals are prohibited from safety-sensitive work areas such as warehouse/shop areas.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
In certain cases, this organization might require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person for the health or safety reasons of:
- the person with a disability
- others on the premises
Before making a decision, this organization name will:
- consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs
- consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence
- determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises
Viacore will notify its employees and external applicants about the availability of accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process, when accommodation is requested. We consult with the requestor and provide or arrange for suitable accommodation. If needed, we will provide customized workplace emergency information to employees who have a disability. If using performance management, career development and redeployment processes, we will take into account the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities.
We have a written process to develop individual accommodation plans for employees.
We will consult with employees when arranging for the provision of suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the accessibility needs due to disability. We will consult with the person making the request in determining the suitability of an accessible format or communication supports specifically for:
- information that is needed in order to perform the employee’s job; and
- information that is generally available to employees in the workplace
Viacore has also developed a Return to Work/Injury Management Program to manage the process of developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work plans for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, Viacore will accommodate people with disability during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired by January 1, 2016:
- Include information in job postings, during job interviews, and in our employment agreements
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account in our performance management, career development and redeployment processes by January 1, 2016:
Review employees’ accommodation plans to understand their needs and see whether adjustments need to be made to help them succeed
Make performance management documents available in accessible formats when asked
Provide feedback and coach employees in a way that is accessible to them
Consider what accommodations employees with disabilities may need to learn new skills or take on more responsibility
Where needed, we will also provide customized emergency information to help an employee with a disability during an emergency. With the employee’s consent, we will provide workplace emergency information to a designated person who is
providing assistance to that employee during an emergency.
We will provide the information as soon as practicable after we become aware of the need for accommodation due to the employee’s disability.
We will review the individualized workplace emergency response information:
- when the employee moves to a different location in the organization;
- when the employee’s overall accommodations needs or plans are reviewed; and
- when the employer reviews its general emergency response policies.
Notice of Availability of Documents
Viacore notifies the public that documents related to accessible customer service, are available upon request by posting this policy on our public website.
Viacore will provide these documents in an accessible format or with communication support, on request. We will consult with the person making the request to determine the suitability of the format or communication support. We will provide the accessible format in a timely manner and, at no additional cost.
2023 Accessibility Compliance Report
Please CLICK HERE to review our 2023 Accessibility Compliance Report.